If your room has a beautiful picture window looking out to a lovely garden, that's it. If you have a fireplace, large or small, that will be the focal point in that room.
Sometimes a room has no distinguishing feature built in and you have to create one. Some ideas of focal points that you can add to a room are here:
- An armoire or other tall, large cabinet
- A beautiful oriental or patterned rug
- A table with a collection of interesting pieces on it
- A dramatic mirror or fabric panel
- A collection hung on the wall, such as musical instruments, family photos, umbrellas, or decorative hats
- A large open storage shelf with collectibles interspersed with books and plants
The point of creating a focal point is to select something to draw the eye and invite the visitor to linger and enjoy.
Read more Quick Tips in our Directory of Quick Tips.