Get rid of the clutter and organize your bathroom space to work for you with this simple How-To from About. After spending a little time, your bathroom will feel squeaky-clean and luxuriously orderly.
Time Required: 15 minutes to 1 hour
- Find 2 good-sized boxes and bring them into the bathroom. Collect all the items on the bathroom counter, in drawers and cupboards, and put them into the boxes. All means everything. Don't leave a single thing out, including soap, toothbrushes, and deodorant.
- If you can sort the things in the boxes, do so. Mark one box Must Have and the other Optional.
- Clean off every surface, including the counters, cupboards, shelves, drawers and everything you've decided you need to keep. Wipe everything dry with a towel.
- Start to replace items, beginning with the medicine cabinet. Put back only the things that you can not live without or use frequently. This prime location should have only essential items in it.
- Place clean decorative item back onto the countertop. The counter is not a storage place. It's for items you use daily or are part of the decor.
- Set conveniently-sized drawer dividers into the drawers. Place often-used items by category. Have a section for hair items, makeup, shaving supplies, nail care items, etc.
- Store bathroom cleaning supplies under the sink, placed neatly on one side of the cupboard. Place extra bath items neatly on the other side, keeping the two categories separated. Turntables made for kitchen items work well under the sink, as they make it easy to get at tall bottles. Simply turn the turntable around and you'll be able to grab the shampoo or conditioner.
- If you have extra room in the cabinet under the sink, collect small items into plastic shoe boxes with lids and stack them to save space. Label the boxes. You'll be able to see what's in the boxes, but the items will stay orderly until you need them.
- As you're going through things to put back in the cupboards, consider whether you really need them. Get rid of half-used products that you don't like and will never use. Toss those small sample bottles of products that you got free-with-purchase. Remember - less is more!
- If there are things in either of the boxes you used for sorting, you probably don't need them. If they don't fall into the must-have category, you should get rid of them.
- If there are any things that you don't need now but can't part with, store them somewhere else. Get them out of the bathroom and out of sight.
- If you've followed the first 11 steps, you can now enjoy your neat, orderly, and organized "new" bathroom. Congratulations to you!
- It's much easier to do this job if you're not distracted. Try to map out an hour where you won't be distracted. If you can't finish the job in one work session, you might be tempted to just throw everything back where it was. Best to get it done all at once!
- Wipe off everything you take out of the drawers and off shelves as you remove them. Then clean the shelves and drawers too. When it's time to put things back, they'll be ready.
- Follow the rule 'when in doubt, throw it out!' The less you have the better things will look.
What You Need
- Two boxes to sort all your stuff
- Cleaning rags
- Cleaning products