When it comes to home decorating, not everyone has either the time or the money to do a whole makeover in their living room. But dont fret! You dont have to spend a lot of either to get a nice change and pick-up to the look of your room. Read here for our 10 favorite ways to add color to your living room and liven up the décor of your home.
1. Paint One WallYou will find that you can add a real punch of color by painting just one wall of your living room. This will really change the focal point of the living room without getting into a major decorating project. If your room has a niche, thats the perfect choice for extra color. You can choose a bold, contrasting color picked from a floral fabric, or a subtle tone darker than the tone of the other walls. Any change in color will add interest and splash!
2. Throw a Few Pillows AroundNothing adds color like pillows strategically placed on furniture. Whether you choose solids for a floral sofa or chair, or colorful, patterned pillows for a solid color chair or sofa, these simple additions will add comfort and just the right splash of color.
3. Add a Bit of Mother Nature (even if it means trying to fool her!)Green plants or flowering ones add color, fragrance, personality, and just good feelings to the living room. If you really dont have a green thumb, ask your nursery or home center to recommend ones that require little or no care. If youre gone from home a lot, settle for some of the wonderful artificial ones on the market now. You can find great looking plants, foliage, and flowers that only need to be dusted.
4. Add a Whimsical LampEven if you have a traditional classic living room, you can add a point of interest by selecting a lamp or shade that is colorful or whimsical. How about using an interesting pot or sculpture? You can have the electrical components installed for a reasonable price at a lamp shop. Then select a shade thats an interesting shape, and glue trim of fringe, beads, or ribbon around the top and bottom to add color.
5. Put Some Color on the FloorA colorful throw rug, strategically placed in front of a chair or under a coffee table can add color and texture to a living room. It can be put on top of hardwood flooring, painted floors, or carpet. You can choose a contrast color, chosen from fabric youre using in the room, or look for one with an interesting pattern that ties into the theme of your room.
6. Freshen Up a Chair CushionIf you have a small chair, such as a desk chair or side chair, consider recovering the seat cushion. Fresh color on even this small area will offer interest and bring life to a dreary corner.
7. Reflecting ColorTry placing a large mirror on a bare, boring wall. Choose an interesting frame or decorate a piece of mirror with cording or braid. If you have an old frame, consider painting it a bright color. The mirror will reflect the color from around the room and add light to the space.
8. Get ArtsyA colorful piece of art placed in a living room not only adds a decorative touch, but also introduces colors and shapes you might not be able to use in a larger area. Try framing simple photos with colorful mats and bright frames.
9. Paint the Back of a BookshelfA great touch of color and interest can be added by painting a bookshelf two colors (or even more!) Paint the frame and outside one color, and paint the inside of the piece, behind the shelves, with a contrasting color. You can choose different shades for each shelf if you really want to draw the eye. The color will really help the items on the shelves pop out and look important.
10. Snuggle Up With a ThrowA handmade quilt, nubby woven throw, or cozy, colorful blanket adds interest when draped over the back or arm of a neutral sofa or chair. Choose a color that accents other pieces in the room, as well. And this practical touch can be used for keeping cozy when watching television or reading a book.