If you have guests arriving at your home in a half hour, you'll appreciate this simple how-to about cleaning a living room in a hurry. Follow these step-by-step instructions and your living room will be neat in less than 15 minutes!
Time Required: 15 Minutes
- Start with a large, empty box and a waste basket placed in the center of the room.
- First, collect any dishes and glasses around the room and take them to the kitchen. Put them away or into the dishwasher, out of sight.
- Next, collect all trash and garbage(newspapers, wrappers, old magazines, etc.) and throw them into the wastebasket.
- Then, collect anything that doesn't belong in the living room (clothing, toys, mail, project equipment) and throw them into the box.
- Take both the wastebasket and the box to the garage, basement, closet or other out-of-the-way spot. Don't put items away now. You don't have time. Just get them out of sight!
- Grab 2 washcloths -- one damp (but wrung out very dry), and the other completely dry. Quickly wipe off picture frames and mirrors, first with the damp, then the dry rag.
- Next, wipe all objects and tabletops with the damp rag, and remove moisture with the dry cloth.
- Neatly stack magazines or books on the coffee table. Rearrange decorative objects to an attractive position.
- If you have some around, bring in a fresh flower arrangement or fresh plants and place them around the room.
- Spritz a light air freshener into the room.
- If you have any time left, quickly vacuum the major traffic areas.
- If you have yet more time, do a quick wipe-down of the powder room. Put out fresh hand towels.
- Turn on some soft music, comb your hair, and sit down! Take a breather and graciously welcome your guests.
- Move quickly! Stash unneeded items out of sight to be sorted later.
- Delegate kitchen and bathroom cleaning to others, if possible.
- Be a gracious host -- stop cleaning and concentrate on your guests once they arrive.
- Don't try to do too much. The key here is quick!
What You Need
- Waste Basket for Discards
- Empty Box for Items to Keep
- 2 Washcloths--one damp and one dry
- Room Freshener
- Vacuum (if you have time)
- Fresh Flowers and Plants
- Soothing Music