Here's how to clean a white mark left on wood furniture by water or steam.
Time Required: A few minutes
- Spread about 2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise on a paper towel.
- Place the paper towel on the white water mark. Press lightly.
- Leave the mayonnaise on the stain about 15 minutes.
- Lift the paper towel and check the stain. If the mark remains, rub more mayo into it again and check it later.
- Stain should be gone. Reapply if necessary.
- Consult a furniture or antiques expert in your area if more elaborate repairs are needed.
- See TIPS below for important information.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions for the particular finish of your furniture.
- The sooner a white mark is treated, the better.
- If in doubt, test the procedure in an inconspicuous area first.
- If you don't have mayonnaise, you can substitute oil. Leave the mayo or oil on overnight for older stains.
- Call a refinishing specialist for advice if stain is stubborn or old. Get professional advice from an antiques expert when dealing with valuable furnishings.