Are you thinking about a Double, a Full, or a Queen size bed?
Any of these sizes fit in a normal room, but many couples feel that a Full or Double bed (they're the same thing) is definitely too narrow for anything more than an occasional night's sleep. A Queen size bed gives each one a bit more room without taking up too much more floor space.
Difference Between Full Beds and Queen Beds:
Double or Full beds are 15" wider than a Twin, but if two share the bed, each has only 27" of personal space, much less than a twin!
- A Queen bed is 6" wider than a Double bed, allowing more room for each person, but still 9" less than a twin bed.
Double, Full, and Queen Beds:
Double beds (also known as Full) were the most common for two to sleep in until the 1960's. They're only 15" wider than a Single bed, leaving only 27" of sleep space for each of two adults. At 75" long, a Full size bed may be too short for some taller adults.
- Overall dimensions: 54" wide x 75" long
- Width per person: 27"
- Pros: Fits into smaller rooms. Might be just right for a single sleeper who is under 5'5" tall. Sheets are less expensive than queen or king size.
- Cons: Many people find a Double bed too narrow for 2 adults and too short as well.
Queen size beds are 21" wider and 5" longer than a Twin bed and 6" wider and 5" longer than a Double size bed. Though this extra width and length can make all the difference in getting a good night's sleep, each adult still has 9" less of width than if they each slept in a twin bed. A Queen bed works well for guest rooms and small master bedrooms and is a good choice for couples who like to snuggle.
- Overall dimensions:60" wide x 80" long
- Width per person: 30"
- Pros: Gives 2 adults more space than a double. The extra length (5") works well for most adults. Sheets and blankets are easy to find and cost less than king bedding.
- Cons: With only 30" of personal space for each person (only 3" more than a Double), a Queen may be too narrow for everyday sleeping for a couple. Some bedding is sold as "Full/Queen" and doesn't really fit either full or queen perfectly. Check bedding dimensions to be sure that it will fit comfortably. Standard size pillows or queen pillows work well.