Neutral colors are always a safe choice. Beige, ivory, taupe, black, gray and white can be great backdrops in bedrooms. They work with every other color so you can lighten and brighten the room using accents and bedding in different colors and patterns. Some people think that neutrals are boring but remember, with artwork, colorful rugs, fun bedding and great accessories a room can be transformed.
When painting with neutral colors be very aware of the underlying tones of the color. For instance, white is rarely just pure white. It comes with undertones of pink, blue, yellow, brown and more. The sky's the limit. Decide if you want your color to be warm or cool and then choose the appropriate undertones (paint experts at the store can help you if you're unsure).
Pastel colors are wonderful for bedrooms. They're soft, relaxing, serene and can help contribute to a good night's sleep. Think about using soft blues, lavenders, greens, yellows and pinks. To keep them from looking too childish, try accenting them with brighter accessories and/or dark wood furniture.
Normally bright colors don't make the best bedroom paint colors. Energetic and bold tones aren't usually relaxing. However, in the bedroom it's important to create an atmosphere that is personal and puts you at ease. If you're the type of person who loves to be surrounded by bright and bold colors don't fight it. If you love bright, fresh interiors, a bold spring green might be ideal for your space. The bedroom is so personal that only you can decide what is best.
Tips for Choosing Bedroom Paint Colors
If you're having trouble deciding on a bedroom paint color keep some of the following tips in mind.
- Take a look at decorating magazines and study different photos of bedrooms. See which ones are the most appealing to you.
- Think about your existing furniture and bedroom accessories. What colors will complement them?
- Consider the size of the bedroom and the atmosphere you want to create. Generally a light color will make the space look larger while a darker or warmer color will make it feel a bit smaller and cozier.
- Is there a lot of natural light in the room? Natural light can make a space feel larger so keep it in mind when deciding on the colors. A small room with a lot of light can appear larger than a small room without light.
- If you're really having trouble deciding try using an online room planner to decorate the space. Many of them will show you exactly how the room will look so you can potentially save a lot of time and money.