Do you have a home office? If so, you should think carefully about what color you paint it. "There are always distractions when working from home, yet studies show that while some colours divert from tasks at hand, others can significantly increase a person's productivity, concentration and motivation," says Alison Goldman, Marketing Communications Manager for CIL Paints.
Think about your job and what kind of environment you want to create.
- Blue can be calming and can lower your pulse rate while increasing productivity.
- Green creates a serene, soothing atmosphere, which can relieve stress.
- Red and orange promote excitement and enthusiasm.
- Purple is thought to promote artistic creativity.
- Yellow is cheerful.
- Light browns and greys deliver a feeling of serenity.
- Darker browns provide a stoic, earthy atmosphere.
If you can't decide, the safest choice might be green wich is the most popular color for home offices according to CIL. "Considered to be the most balancing hue on the colour spectrum and the easiest on the eye, green is restful yet rejuvenating." While I love green, when I had a home office (my current place is so small it's all my office!) I painted it cream. I found it relaxing, calm and the least distracting.
Photo © CIL